Sunday, March 3, 2013

Top 10 Must Known Yiddish Words and Phrases


  1. Oy vey: An expression close to the English phrase “Oh my G-d” or “I can’t believe it.”   
  2. Shmuck: Idiot (literally, the male anatomy part).  “This shmuck tried to shortchange me yesterday.” 
  3. Chutzpah: Gall/Nerve. “This guy had the chutzpah to tell me that my son isn’t good enough for his daughter!”            
  4. Shiksa: A non-Jewish girl. Often times, but not always, used derogatorily. “I can’t believe my son married a shiksa!”                                                                             
  5. Nosh: To snack on something. Means to eat, but not eating a big meal, just something small.   
  6. Tuchas: Butt. The word tooshie comes from Tuchas. The “ch” is the guttural “ch” as in Chanukkah.                                                                                   
  7. Spiel: Telling a story, usually one that another person doesn’t want to hear. “He gave me this whole spiel about why he was late to work.”     
  8. Shlep: To move something you don’t want to. “I have to shlep my big T.V. every time a move to a new apartment.”
  9. Kvetch: Complain. “Stop kvetching about all the homework you have!”
  10. Mensch: A righteous person. “This mensch let me use his cell phone when mine ran out of batteries.”
This is a really funny book, and teaches you Yiddish with the old Dick and Jane characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment